Total Pageviews

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Wait

Ever wanted something so bad, played all your cards, then waited for the next group to make their move? Well that's the situation I'm in now.
Trying to get into the Police Academy is possibly one of the most nerve wracking things I've done. At least getting into the Navy, I knew what was coming. I had friends that had done it, I knew the process. Here, I'm a guy walking down the street with my shirt over my eyes. I'm nervous of what's to come. But, like any good soldier, I'm walking tall. Remembering to keep my head up and eyes open. You never know what to expect, but always be ready for anything.
Lately I've had a lot of people ask me why I want to become a Cop? Why not just hug a desk?
I feel a calling to serve my country. Serve my God.
I want my Father to be able to say that he's proud of me. But more so, I want God to be able to say he's proud of me.
I know the times are dangerous for Police. I know there is a lot of chances that I will at sometime in my career be shot at. But if you live your life in fear of being injured, then you might as well clock out now, cause it's a pointless life.
Obviously, I hope that I will never encounter a situation where I have to draw my weapon, I would never wish that on anyone. But if the situation ever arises, you have to be ready. You have to be willing.
In life there are three choices. You can give up, give in, or stand up.
I personally am never one to give up. I don't know what the words give in mean. So that only leaves one option. To stand up. Not just for me. But for what's right. Stand up for those that can't protect themselves. That is why I am doing what I am doing. Not to better myself. But to maybe, hopefully, make a small difference in this world.
I'm reminded of the movie Act of Valor, there was a poem in there that I am very familiar with. I want to share that with you tonight. Hopefully, it'll inspire you as much as it did me.


So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
even a stranger, when in a lonely place.
Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.
When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled
with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep
and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment